Come join a very special program, where people and horses engage in peaceful communication and tenderness. Volunteering at Sunnyside will give you a great sense of achievement and fulfillment, as busy hands are helpful hands. Volunteers are crucial in keeping the program going and the horses happy. In addition to giving to the program and to the horses, volunteers learn a great deal about horsemanship, leadership, and about the issues facing equine management, training and breeding.
There are many ways for both individuals and groups to volunteer – both as a one-time event or as an ongoing project.
- Maintenance jobs include painting, cleaning, raking, gardening, weeding, mowing and weed-whacking.
- Specialized work is always appreciated. This may include: excavation, building/construction, fencing, plumbing and electrical work.
- Farm jobs may include: cleaning pens, waterers, sheds and helping move hay.
- Other jobs may include helping with special events or projects.
- Volunteers interested in Facility Volunteering do not have to attend new volunteer orientation, and the training requirements are very minimal.
All Program Volunteers Should:
- Complete an application form
- Attend an orientation
- Attend a training session
- Commit to completing 40 hours of volunteer work in a 3-month period
Both the orientation and training will count towards this 40-hour commitment. Program volunteers are not required to have previous experience working with horses, although it is helpful. All training is provided.
What program volunteering might include:
- Groom Fjord Horses
- Bathe Fjord Horses
- Clean paddocks
- Move supplies
- Feed animals
- Clean hooves
- Help with camp
- Assist with special events and fundraisers
- Move supplies
- Give farm tours